I love making dream catchers and decided to make an animal version. It’s less of a dream catcher in a way as the circle section is solid however it does have the usual strings with beads and feathers. These are placed to look like the foxes tail.
You will need: 5 inch dream catcher ring, orange and white yarn, beads and feathers as well as black yarn and memory wire. There is a chart for you but I will be writing out in full detail how to make it if that makes no sense to you.
Yarn: 8 ply / dk
Hook: 2.5 mm
Pattern notes: Gauge: each dc needs to be 1 cm. American Crochet terms used. Starting chains are NOT counted as a stitch. Colour A is Orange and Colour B is white. Stitches in brackets are repeats.
- With colour A create a magic circle and chain 2, 12 dc in middle. Join to first dc with a sl st
- Chain 2, colour a: 2 dc in next 4,colour B: 2 dc in next 3. Colour A: 2 dc in next 2, colour B: 2 dc in remaining 3. Sl st to first dc whilst rejoining colour A.
- Colour A: (1dc, 2dc) x4, colour B: (1dc, 2dc) x 3, 1dc, 1dc, colour A: dc in same stitch as previous dc and dc in next stitch, colour B: 2dc in next (1dc, 2dc) x 3.Sl st to first dc whilst rejoining colour A
- Colour A: 1dc , (2dc, dc in 2) x 3, 2dc in next , dc. Colour B dc, (2 dc, dc in 2) x3, 2dc, Colour A: dc in 2 (these should be directly in previous rows orange dc). Colour B (2dc, dc in 2) x3, 2dc, dc. Sl st to first dc whilst rejoining colour A
- Colour A: (dc in 3, 2dc ) x4. Colour B :(dc in 3, 2dc) x3, dc in next 4. Colour A: dc, Colour B: (dc in 3, 2dc) x4. Sl st to first dc whilst rejoining colour A
- Colour A: dc in next 2, (2dc, dc in 4) X3, 2dc, dc in next 2. COlour B: dc in 2, (2dc, dc in 4) x3, 2dc, dc. Colour A: dc in previous row orange stitch). Colour B: dc in 2, (2dc, dc in 4) x3, 2dc, dc in 2. Sl st to first dc and fasten off.
** see end for how to join your new colour each time.
1. Chain 2, 2sc in first chain. Turn
2. sc in each stitch (4). Turn
3. 2sc in first, sc in 2, 2sc in end. Turn (6)
4. sc in each stitch. Turn (6)
5. 2sc in first, sc in 4, 2sc in end. sl st sround nose then fasten off and weave in ends. Attach to face at bottom of orange point.
1. Create an mc, 4sc in middle.
2. 2sc in each, sl st first first st. Fasten off and weave in ends.
3. Attach to face as per picture.
You will now attach the whole thing to the ring by simply stitching it on: needle through fox over top of ring and back through the fox.
With Colour A:
1. chain 10, dc in 3rd stitch and each to end. Turn
2. chain 2, sk1, sc2tog, dc in 3, dc2tog. Turn
3. Chain 2, sk1 dc2tog, dc, dc2tog (use previous chain 2 to complete this stitch. Turn
4. Chain 2, dc3tog, sl st at top. Fasten off yarn and weave in ends.
5. Cut memory wire to size to fit from starting colour up one side to top and back down. Hold against ear. Sl st in starting chain and sc around ear (2sc per row), 2 sc in top and sc back down securing wire as you go.
With colour B:
6. Chain 7, dc in 3rd chain and next 4. Turn
7. Chain 2, dc2tog, dc, dc2tog. Turn
8.Chain 2, dc3tg, sl st in top. Cut off yarn and weave in ends
9. Rejoin in starting chain and sl st (2 per row) around putting 2 in top.
10. Sew the white onto the orange being careful to only use top of stitches so the stitching dosen’t show at back of ear. Alternatively you could glue it down.
To attach they will position to edge of the ear is flush with the orange on the fox forehead. You can wrap the wire round then stitch it onto the ring or you can cut the wires short and sew on. Be aware the wire is sharp and a blob of glue at end is great way to make it safer.
Strings and feathers
Create all in orange. 2x 42 chain, 2 x 50 chain, 1 x 55 chain.
Add 3 orange beads to each string. On the shorter 2 add 3 orange feathers to each, 50 chain add 3 white to each and same on 55 chain.
You can attach them by simply tying them on making sure its neat and secure then pushing the beads down over stem of feather hiding the knot.
Join the longest by tying onto the ring just under the single orange stitch (under nose). Attach the 50 chain strings either side. Attach the 2 orange feather strings in same bit as previous 2 but position so they end up on top. You may need to fiddle with the length to ensure the whites poke out bottom and orange overlaps slightly to create a bushy fox tail.
Weave ends into the back of the fox ensuring nothing is showing.
Joining yarn when you are changing a lot and want to eliminate ends and obvious joins: