I decided to give making a dreamcatcher a go so I bought a fairly cheap kit to start. The kit came with a ring, leather, string, feathers, beads and instruction sheet.
To start I had to wrap the leather around the ring. I started by popping on end onto the ring and winding over top of it to secure that end. I found it didn’t quite cover it as thickly as hoped but with a bit of shuffling along it looked presentable.
Next up I needed to make the centre. This was hard and mine was fairly loose but I like it anyway.
- knot your string near the top of ring.
- Please string under the ring
- Bring string on a needle over top and through the loop you created
- Bring your string under again. Repeat to reach first loop
- Create you next loop by working into first loop so you essentially work in a spiral.
- Come up under first loop, through it and back through loop you just created and continue.
I added beads onto second and last row by thread it onto the needle/string before completing my loop. The middle I kind of just sewed together as wasn’t overly clear how to get it gather. I added leather to the bottom at 3 points and one at top by the strong knot.
Next I threaded beads on and knotted feathers on pushing the beads down to over where I tied it.
Here is my completed dream catcher!! I personally loved this project and love the effect and I’m eager to make more.
This is a great kit for older kids and as a gift either as a kit or made up into the item.
My second attempt went much better and a tighter fit on the leather meant I covered my metal ring better.